Nigeria’s longest running and most successful drama series, Tinsel, will air its 2000th episode tonight, 23 March 2017 at 7:30pm on Africa Magic Showcase (DStv channel 151).
As we look forward to the drama that is sure to unfold in this landmark episode, here are some interesting facts about Africa’s most successful soap opera that you probably didn’t know.
* Tinsel Episode 1 debuted on Monday 1st of September, 2008.
* Tinsel is a multicam, studio and location based shoot with over a 100-man cast and crew comprising entirely of Nigerians.
* Story creation, scripting, set design and construction, production and post-production is done in Nigeria, by Nigerians.
* The show has survived several horrifying challenges including the complete burning of her Ojota studios in 2013 as well as the flooding of some parts of her Ilupeju studios in 2016 and yet, has never gone black on air.
* Tinsel has featured brilliant stunts such as actor falling in water, adrenaline-pumping car chase scenes, mafia-style prisoner hijack and a lot of gunfire sequences.
* Cupid lives in Tinsel town as cast marriages have proven (Gbenro AJibade and Osas Ighodaro; Chris Attoh and Damilola Adegbite; Iyke Okechukwu and Florence Uwaleke).
* The youngest actors to have featured on Tinsel came on board as 2-week old babies. And both are still acting on the show – 5 year old Nathaniel Omene who plays Tochi (Amaka Ade-Williams’ Child) and now 3 year old Abiola Bayode who plays Amarachi Obi (she is Chuks’ and Ene’s daughter)
* Dozie Onyiruika who acts Freddie Ade William on Tinsel came on board as a 7-year old boy and now he is a teenager.
* Tinsel’s oldest actor is Taiwo Ajai Lycett, a 76 year old veteran actor. She plays Sheila’s mother in story. Sheila is Iretiola Doyle.